The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Homemade bread


Sallie of A Gracious Home started the weekly Carnival of Beauty late in 2005, and she has chosen some great topics for 2007. This week's topic is The Beauty of Bread, and it is going to be a recipe carnival. Sarah of To Motherhood and Beyond is hosting and will have all the links for this week's carnival entries so be sure to stop by there sometime to get some new recipes.

Growing up, my mother almost always cooked from scratch. Instant potatoes were a treat for our family, if that tells you anything. While my mother is not the best cook in the world, there are some things she cooks that are absolutely fantastic. Her homemade pizza inspired my quest to make a great pizza. Maybe I remember through a rose-colored filter, but I can still smell and taste the wonder of her pizza. Now she says mine is better than hers. We almost never ate store-bought bread because Mom always took the time to make homemade bread, and she didn't have a bread maker, either. Let me tell you, there is NOTHING like hot-from-the-oven bread with buttered crust and butter on the bread! It's a wonder we weren't fat! I never did get her recipe for the bread, and I doubt I would make it by hand; I'm too lazy to go to that much trouble. But I do love my bread maker and have tried several different very good recipes. Here is one of my favorites that I found at allrecipes.com.

Basic White Bread
Nothing fancy, just a good basic white bread for the bread machine. Sometimes the simple things in life are the best!
Prep time: approx. 5 minutes.
Cook time: approx. 3 hours
Ready in: approx. 3 hours 5 minutes
Makes one 1.5 pound loaf (12 servings)

1 1/4 c warm water
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 c. bread flour
2 Tbsp. dry milk powder
1 (.25 oz.) package active dry yeast

Directions: Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select White Bread setting; press Start.

4 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

mmmm that sounds good! I just looove bread. all kinds. my mom makes a special fruit bread from scratch every Christmas. i have fond memories of watching her knead and braid the bread and smelling the yeast smells and of course devouring it! weren't those the good ol' days?

Revka said...

Yes, those days were good. It can be pleasant to look back and remember. Your mom's fruit bread sounds great. Do you have the recipe by chance?

Unknown said...

Sounds good. I just may have to get the bread machine out again.

Revka said...

Beckie, thanks for stopping by, and this bread would be worth getting out your machine again. :)