The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Monday, January 01, 2007

One last Christmas celebration

I think I mentioned before that my family (siblings and parents) Christmas usually ends up being celebrated in January because we are all so busy during the normal Christmas season. This year we managed to get together on December 30, mostly because my youngest sister would be home from college at the time. We also opted to make things easier for the cooks: each family brought a finger food dish, a dessert, and a (non-alcoholic) beverage. That sure cut down on cooking, and we still had plenty of food. I FINALLY got to make a cake that I have been wanting to bake but couldn't because I knew that I would be the one to eat the whole thing. It was DELICIOUS!

All our kids enjoyed playing together. They all started out playing on the trampoline before dinner. When it was time to come in, Baby Bear (18 months) stayed in the middle, bouncing up and down with the biggest grin on her face and refusing to get down until my mom climbed up to get her off. Mom got a kick out of that.

Dad was able to attend, which was really nice. He didn't get to stay for too long, but it was good to see him at a family function again.

After we ate, we let the kids play inside the house while we adults played Spin Uno. Playing games as a family reminded me of my childhood. We never had a TV and consequently engaged in a lot of activities together. We ended up teasing Mom as usual, and it just seemed like old times. My oldest sister got annoyed when I called "Uno" before her and she had to draw another card. She claimed that she hadn't yet laid her card on the discard pile, but ... (grin) We teased each other about reporting the incident in our blogs, and I decided I would. (evil laugh) I'll be waiting for reprisals.

Here's the cake recipe. I highly recommend it! (I had to find it online because I can't find my recipe which means that I can't post the scrumptious photo.)

Milk Chocolate Bar Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package Swiss chocolate cake mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese softened
1cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 (1.5 ounce) milk chocolate candy bars with almonds, divided
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

Prepare cake patter according to package directions. Pour into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.

Bake at 325ยบ for 20 to 24 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and granulated sugar at medium speed until mixture is creamy.

Chop 8 candy bars finely. Fold cream cheese mixture and chopped candy into whipped topping.

Spread icing between layers and on top and sides of cake. Chop remaining 2 candy bars. Sprinkle half of chopped candy bars over cake. Press remaining chopped candy along bottom edge of cake.

AUTHOR: Bev

recipe courtesy of razzledazzlerecipes.com

2 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

Yummmm....the cake sounds divine. I will definitely try! Your family celebration sounds like fun!

Revka said...

It was so good; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. We did have a blast spending time together.