The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Choosing that which is needful

This week's Carnival of Beauty topic is The Beauty of Mary and Martha.

Oh, how I love this story! (Luke 10:38-42) And how I need to be reminded of the lesson found therein.

Too often I am Martha, worried and fretting over what needs to be done in my house, in my church, in all my responsibilities and activities. The worries and cares of life so easily consume me to the point where I feel like I can't take the time to "sit at Jesus' feet" and have my quiet time with Him. Yet that is what I need most. When I miss my time with God, petty annoyances turn into impassable mountains.

Martha became irate because she was doing all the preparation and serving while Mary was doing no work. She stormed in to where Jesus was teaching, interrupting the words of her Creator. She accused Him of encouraging Mary's "neglect" because He did not send Mary to help her. How often do I do the same, complaining about my difficult circumstances while completely ignoring the words God is trying to speak to my heart? My circumstances would not be so difficult if I simply stopped and took the time to listen to the Master.

In contrast to fretful, harried Martha, what a wonderful example Mary is! She did not allow seemingly imperative tasks to separate her from her Lord. Instead, she chose that which was needful. A quiet time with God is not a luxury to be set aside if I have a lot on my schedule for that day. Time alone with God is most necessary when it seems most impossible to find the time, for it is in that meeting time that I find strength to face the day ahead. Oftentimes, the Scripture I read in the morning is the very thing that I need to get me through the day. God in His providence knows what lies in my way and fills my cup with life-giving water before I ever realize my need.

Dear Lord, please forgive me for paying lip-service to You but actually placing everything else ahead of You. Thank You for the story of Mary and Martha and the lessons that have spoken to my heart. Please help me to choose "that which is needful" rather than trying to live life in my own strength. Thank You for Your love, mercy, and boundless compassion. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

4 comments:

Revka said...

It is so horribly easy to do, too. I was glad for the reminder presented because of the carnival.

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

"Time alone with God is most necessary when it seems most impossible to find the time, for it is in that meeting time that I find strength to face the day ahead. Oftentimes, the Scripture I read in the morning is the very thing that I need to get me through the day. God in His providence knows what lies in my way and fills my cup with life-giving water before I ever realize my need."
Excellent!
I'm reminded of a poem someone gave me when I graduated from HS - her reminder to me to keep God first through the years ahead - I'll have to dig it out, it was about being so busy that you have to take time for God before all else.

Thx for a great post & thanks for stopping by.

Revka said...

Leftcoastonlooker, I would love to see that poem. It sounds good. I appreciate your coming by and commenting as well. You are welcome anytime.

Lindsey said...

So true. I find myself in Martha's shoes more often than Mary's, and I need to learn to be still and simply kneel at the Lord's feet. Here for the Carnival ;-)!