The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Busted

I was sitting at the computer, enjoying the peace and solitude as I caught up on blogs I had not read during the day. Although physically present in my home, I actually was many virtual miles away. I stared absently at the monitor, composing the perfect comment in my mind before setting fingers to keys and putting it online for all to see. Suddenly, the overhead light went out. Startled, I looked up to see my husband's silhouette in the doorway. He flicked the light back on, and I could fully see his hands-on-hips stance.

"Honey, it is 12:30 a.m. You should be in bed, and you haven't even put away the glasses. I don't want to hear about your being tired tomorrow," he said sternly.

Although maintaining an outward calm, inwardly I squirmed in sudden guilty consciousness of the fact that over two hours had passed since I told him that I would come to bed "in a minute." And those glasses, the ones I had finally brought from storage and had unpacked with all good intentions of sorting immediately, WERE still sitting on the chest, waiting for their fate to be decided.

Having had his say, my husband returned to bed, obviously expecting me to follow. I hastily and carelessly posted the comment that had initially seemed so important and turned off the computer. I straightened up the living room and sorted the hapless glasses, designating some for Goodwill while boxing others for the future when my currently used glasses will need replacing. After accomplishing those minor tasks, the clock now read 1:30 a.m. I turned off all the lights and stealthily slipped into bed next to my sleeping husband. Good night, world. Tomorrow is a brand new day and a brand new beginning.

10 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

hi revka!

i initally visited your blog this morning with the intention of telling you that I just read your comment about your frugal but thoughtful Christmas gifts and I think that was great! but i have to say that i, too, was BUSTED last night! things went almost exactly the same as they did with you, except my hubby said: "i don't want to hear that you don;t have time to exercise..." Ooops!!

Revka said...

How funny that you were busted, too! I actually debated posting this but ended up thinking it was too funny to skip. I've been laughing in a guilty way for 2 days now. I tell you, I am addicted!

Thanks for the comment about the Christmas gifts. I'm planning to make it a tradition. :)

Revka said...

Oh, and I just remembered - that comment I was so carefully composing was for your blog!

Anonymous said...

Well, when you're sitting at the computer late at night and so focused on what you're about to write, the time can really fly!

I find that I can spend a couple of hours at night, without even realizing the time has passed, trying to compose my thoughts for my blog.

My wife has come in once when the time got to--2.30am!

Revka said...

That's exactly what happened, Frank. I had no idea it was that late! I think 1:30 is my record. Were you in trouble for being up so late?

Anonymous said...

Well, not in trouble, but she was concerned about my getting up with my daughter and then getting in to the office. I can get on the computer and then forget about how late it is. I do love staying up late, though. So quiet and peaceful (msile)..

Revka said...

I know what you mean about being peaceful and quiet! Those moments are very rare in my household! I apologize if my question was rude; I was just wondering if you guys get in trouble like we women do.

Anonymous said...

(laugh) Neither of us gets into trouble. I think there is a genuine concern for getting enough sleep to operate at full capacity the next day without getting tired too quickly. If my wife stays up late on the computer, I generally fall asleep until she comes to bed.
But I do love that quiet late night time when I can concentrate on things.

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

This is too funny. Tonight my husband rolled his eyes when I reached for my laptop. Many times he has accused me of being "addicted" to my computer. He doesn't know I'm blogging and I think that deep down I haven't told him because I want him to think I'm working, not just blogging. I will admit that he does get neglected because of my computer.

Revka said...

It would seem that we bloggers tend to get caught up in our blogging. Now that I am occasionally getting paid to blog, my husband doesn't make as many comments. I guess something that brings in money has more value than just a hobby. (grin) I am working on the neglect and have been doing better lately; so I'm in the same boat with you there, too. It's just so much fun!