The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Business necessities

I am a “momtrepreneur”: a mother who also happens to be an entrepreneur. I have taught piano for 13 years and have run “(my last name) Piano Studio” for almost a decade, dutifully filing my business taxes each year. My sole advertisement is word-of-mouth, and the Lord has always graciously provided me with the amount of students I can handle. One thing I do need to do, however, is to check into business card printing. I have never created a business card, and when people ask for one, I end up having to write my contact information on a piece of paper, all the while stumbling around trying to explain why I don’t have a card to give them. I am painfully aware that my lack of business cards has at times left a less-than-professional impression. What are items you view as indispensable for the professional operation of your business?

5 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

Hi Revka!

(1) Definitely a website. That is your number one marketing tool. People can search for you, learn all about your services, contact you and pass on your info to others. When I'm interested in a company or looking for an item of service, my first stop in the Web.
hey - if you're interested, my hubby designs websites. I can send you his info if you're interested.

(2) Business cards. You got to have 'em!

Good for you for being a mompreneur. I'm trying to get my new business off of the ground myself...

Revka said...

Thanks for the input, Fergie. Sure, you can give me your husband's info. I am not looking to build a website at this current time, but it is a good idea and who knows in the future? What kind of business are you trying to start? I hope it is a success. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Revka,

I don't think you need a website just yet...but a business card you do need...

I would go to your local Staples or any office supply store and see if you can't pick up an easy to use business card software...you'll be able to design it yourself pretty effectively.

Revka said...

Hi, Kim,
Thanks for coming by and for offering your advice. I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you were here. You are welcome any time. :0) Thanks for the suggestion about Staples. That is a good idea I will have to check into. I already have clipart I use as a logo so I think it would be easy to create my own design.

Revka said...

That's a riot, Karen! I don't think I could bring myself to do that, though. :)