The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Who Is Huckabee?

MikeHuckabee.com - I Like Mike!
If you noticed the new button in my right sidebar, you may be thinking, "Who in the world is Huckabee?" Considering his lack of media coverage, that would not be a surprising question.

Before I point you to the answer, let me explain why I choose to support this relatively unknown politician in his bid for the White House. (For a more detailed explanation, read my Rants, Raves, and Rejects post, I Like Mike.)

While I am not affiliated with any political party and would vote for the candidate who best matches my convictions (no matter to which party he belongs), I must say that I have yet to see a Democrat come anywhere near matching my convictions. The Republican party is not in much better shape, and the candidates whom the media deem worthy of coverage are a depressing lot:
If I feel comfortable voting for none of the aforementioned candidates, for whom can I vote? Enter Mike Huckabee, or rather, enter my awareness of Mike Huckabee. A former Southern Baptist minister (which, by the way, is no guarantee of anything), Huckabee's platform is "pro" in a way that I can support: pro-life, pro-Second Amendment rights, pro-Israel, and pro-heterosexual marriage only.

I cannot force anyone to agree with me, and I would not want to do that anyway. I only ask that you take a look at this Presidential hopeful and examine whether he and his campaign reflect what you want to see in our next President.

If, after examining his beliefs, you believe he is the right man for the job, how about pitching in to help his cause? Contributions are not only welcome but are also needed; you could join Team Huckabee, send e-mails to your friends; request a blog interview with Gov. Huckabee; vote or volunteer in the upcoming Ames (Iowa) Straw Poll; you can even do what I am doing in this post: blog about Mike Huckabee. Any help spreading the word about this notable hopeful would be helpful.

To end on a lighter note, you should read through the descriptions of the lesser-known Republican and Democratic wannabes. I had to laugh out loud at some of them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike Huckabee certainly seems like a terrific candidate. I've been hearing really good things from him.

His problem is that there is not a lot of "moderate" support for him, so it would be hard for him to raise money-- it's a broken system we have in some ways.

I don't know what it would take to actually break down the two party system in this country, but that's what we need.

Anonymous said...

I have certainly been impressed with Huckabee, as evidenced by my two posts about him.

I do agree that most of the money lies with the moderates. Think about it: the far right and the far left are the minority of the respective camps. I hope that somehow he can connect with enough people (without discarding his convictions) to get the money he needs. Ames appears to be a crucial point for his bid for the Presidency.

I would definitely be happy to see another party created for which I could vote in good conscience. The top tier candidates leave me feeling depressed and apathetic, certainly no frame of mind for effecting change.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information Revka. There are some poor choices out there. I hadn't heard of Huckabee.

Revka said...

Hey, Karen, you're welcome. Like I said, just thinking of the "top tier" candidates is depressing! I know that I only recently heard of Mike Huckabee, so I am not at all surprised that others had not heard of him. That is why I wrote this post, and I am glad that I have brought him to your attention. :)

Angel321 said...

I will certainly have to check him out. I myself have been disappointed in the candidate choices.

Thanks again
Angel
1smartmom.com