The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Booksfree.com Review

logo from booksfree.com

Who hasn't heard of Netflix? The concept is simply brilliant: for a monthly service fee, DVDs are delivered to your door, and you can take as long as you would like to return them without having to worry about late fees. Once you return the DVDs, a new batch is sent out.

Loving reading as I do, I was thrilled to get in on an opportunity to try out booksfree.com, a company similar to Netflix except that they rent out both paperback and audiobooks. There are different options available depending on the number of books that you estimate you can read in a month. The monthly fee is the only money you will ever be charged, for there are no late fees, and shipping is paid by booksfree.com - both ways. If you decide you want to keep a book, you can purchase it from them at a discounted price.

I was pleased to find an extensive selection of titles in many different genres. I love the classics - works by Charles Dickens and Jane Austen, for example - and also enjoy reading mystery stories and some Christian fiction. In all categories, both old and new books were available and their selection includes many best sellers.

I had heard good things about Jan Karon's Mitford series and ordered the first two titles in that series. (They were excellent books, and I'm going to have to read the rest of the series now.) The books were shipped the same day and arrived in my mailbox in about three days. As promised, they came with a return envelope so that I had to pay no shipping costs.

I really like this service, though with the number of books I can read, I would have to opt for the largest plan. (In high school, I once checked out 22 library books at one time and had them all read in two days, if my memory serves me correctly.) The website is user-friendly and contains plenty of help for anyone who may become confused when trying to place an order. Just be very careful when making your first selections. I could not find a way to change the first books I selected. They were immediately queued for shipment. However, the waiting list can be changed and rearranged as much as you would like.

If you love to read, you should take a look at booksfree.com. They have it all: flexible plans, ease of use, and great selections.

0 comments: