The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Friday, July 20, 2007

It's Time to Grow Up

I recently came to the conclusion that, although I am a "grown-up", I have not yet grown up in some areas, and I think it's high time I finally grow up and accept my responsibilities, particularly in the area of caring for my house.

I struggle, and always have, with house work. I get weary of fighting the same old battles: excessive laundry, mountains of dishes, dust on all the furniture. No matter what I do, it seems as though those things never change. There are days I am so tired of fighting to keep our living conditions from declining any further (not that they are terrible, please understand- only a bit messy) that I just want to run away from all my responsibilities. I feel like my family would be better off without me around. Now, don't worry, I am committed to my family, and I won't do something that stupid, but I sure would like to! (I bet I'm not the only who feels like that upon occasion.) Perhaps whacking some golf balls would be a good release for my pent-up frustrations; I don't know. (I do know that punching something makes me feel better; maybe I should take up boxing rather than golf. *smile*)

When I was mentally bewailing my fate yesterday afternoon, it finally struck me: I procrastinate as long as possible if I need to do something I don't like to do. How childish is that? It's time for me to suck it up, willingly shoulder my responsibilities, and act like the grown up my age proclaims me to be.

So here's my plan of action: starting today (right after this post *wink*), I will first work on what I dislike doing. After I have completed the dreaded task, I will reward myself by doing something I like to do - blogging, perhaps? I really do like when our house is clean and in order, and, if I work at it, I think that I can keep it that way the majority of the time instead of the minority of the time.

So ... do any of you have any suggestions for learning to enjoy doing housework? What gets you through tasks that you don't enjoy? Maybe I should post another "Reclaim Your House Week" series?

8 comments:

Linda said...

:) That sounds just like me only that I have´t got as far as you in my thinking. :)

Well I haven´t got any advice for you as I´m in the same boat :)

Now I guess I should go and do the dishes.....

Revka said...

Hey, Linda,
I'm very glad someone else admits to being in the same boat as I. *smile* That, in and of itself, is an encouragement; thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi R---good question. I'm not big on the housework, but when I do some, I think of it as exercise. So, housework=healthy (smile).

Maybe?

Revka said...

That's a good idea, Frank - thanks :)

Meredith said...

Revka, I don't enjoy housework, either--but I do enjoy the results. I work as hard and as fast as I can, once a day. I don't worry about cleaning all day long, because the day is never done! Listening to podcasts while I work makes the time fly by.

Anonymous said...

I am the same way! I hate housework with a passion, and would rather be working on my art, knitting, or writing. And usually I do. Then I drop my daughter off at a friend's house and see how spotless and perfect their houses are and I feel guilty that my house isn't so clean. We have clutter. I run a full time business here and a few side biz' deals. I use that as my excuse.

Of course, if I'd get of the computer or play at what I enjoy a little less.............

Revka said...

Meredith, thank you for your suggestion. I do think that would be helpful. :>)

Revka said...

Gayle,
We definitely sound like we fight the same battles. :>)