The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Monday, December 11, 2006

A Birthday Gift for Jesus


“Daddy, Daddy! I finished my list! Do you want to see? Do you, do you?” Jason was talking very fast because he was very excited.

“Whoa, Jason! Slow down so I can understand you! What list did you finish?” asked Dad.

“Oh, Dad! You know I’m talking about my Christmas list. Look at it!”

Dad took Jason’s long list and started reading it. After he finished, he looked up.

“Jason, this is a very long list. Tell me, what is Christmas about?”

Jason thought for a moment and then said, “Well, my PeeWee Club Captain said it’s Jesus’ birthday.”

“That’s right,” Dad said. “How would you like it if everyone else asked for and received gifts on your birthday, and no one even thought about you?”

“I wouldn’t like that at all!” Jason exclaimed. “My birthday is my special day!”

“Well, Christmas is when we celebrate Jesus’ birthday. We need to remember that. It’s fine to give and get presents at Christmas, but we should do something special for Jesus, too,” Dad said.

“But, Dad, I thought Jesus lives in Heaven. How can I give Him a gift when He’s not even here?” Jason wondered.

“You’re right, Jason. Jesus does live in Heaven; but because He is God, He is everywhere, even if we can’t see Him,” Dad answered.

Jason thought for a moment. Then he said, “I know the wise men gave Jesus gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. I don’t have anything like that. What can I give Him?”

“There are a lot of gifts you can give Jesus. You can give Him your money by giving it to our church or sending it to missionaries. You can give Him your time by reading your Bible, praying, or helping someone; but more than anything else, Jesus wants one gift from you.”

“What gift is that, Dad?”

“Your heart, Son. Jesus wants to live in your heart, but He can’t do that unless you give it to Him by asking Him to forgive you for your sins and to be your Savior. Once you do that, He can come live in your heart forever.”

“Wow, Dad! You told me about salvation before, but I never realized that Jesus wants to live in my heart. I’m ready to give Jesus the gift He wants most. Will you help me pray to accept Him as Savior?”

Jason and his father knelt to pray, and Jason gave his heart to Jesus.

0 comments: