The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

There's no place like home

After having been gone for 3 days, we are thrilled to the soles of our feet to be back in our "home, sweet home," especially our own bed! That feeling prompted me to choose the quotation you see in the previous post. I had that thought running through my head so I ran a search on msn.com (my favorite search engine, BTW) and found this interesting site which features the complete lyrics to the song - popular during the Civil War.


HOME, SWEET HOME
Words by John Howard Payne
Music by Henry Rowley Bishop



'Mid pleasures and palaces though I may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home;
A charm from the sky seems to hallow us there,
Which, seek thro' the world, is ne'er met with elsewhere.

Chorus:
Home! Home! Sweet, sweet home!
There's no place like home, there's no place like home.

An exile from home, splendor dazzles in vain,
Oh, give me my lowly thatched cottage again;
The birds singing gaily that come at my call;
Give me them, with that peace of mind, dearer than all.

Chorus

To thee, I'll return, overburdened with care,
The heart's dearest solace will smile on me there.
No more from that cottage again will I roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.

Chorus

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how was your Christmas? Was it wonderful for the family? Hope so.

Revka said...

The kids had a great time and loved staying at Grandma and Grandpa's house. We also helped my husband's brother and sister-in-law move to another apartment yesterday, and that was as much fun as you would expect. :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch ... moving is right up there with all the high stress activities. A nice gesture or mitzvah as some say. Did you have a great time also?

Revka said...

Hey, no fair asking me that! I'm trying to be diplomatic here. (grin) No, neither my husband nor I had a great time. It seemed like nothing went as expected, and I really would rather have stayed home with Mr. Incredible and the kids instead of traveling all over creation. But I guess you can't always have everything you want. (sigh) We helped my in-laws move the day after Thanksgiving, and this time it was my brother-in-law's turn. Everyone is sick of moving, but one of the really nice things about my husband's family is that everyone does help everyone else. They all came and helped us when we moved last year.