The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

How am I using the gift?

I know this is news to none, but I was just thinking about how easy we have it today. Our pioneer forefathers had only themselves and their efforts on which to rely. Clothes needed replacing? In Colonial days, the women not only made their own clothes but also made the cloth from which to make those clothes. Laundry was stacked high? The women had to boil huge pots of water and scrub the clothes by hand. The examples are many. Today, we have innumerable inventions that save time and effort, and, believe me, I'm all for that! I like having an automatic washer and dryer. I like being able to buy a cake if I have run out of time to make one from scratch. I like the fact that there are printable greeting cards available on the Internet, removing the need for me to leave my home to purchase a card. But with all the conveniences and labor-saving devices we use every day, I find myself asking, "What am I doing with the time and effort I have saved?" Am I selfishly squandering the benefits of all the modern conveniences? While the pioneers' lives were rough, it is my opinion that, in general, they were much happier and lived fuller lives than we do. They were not focused on self as so many people are today. By necessity, they looked out for their family and neighbors, placing others' needs before their own. What a contrast to today's society where a request that requires effort on another's part is often met with a huge sigh (at best). I know I need to do a better job of putting life in the right perspective to have JOY - Jesus, Others, You. As a parting thought, Bob Vallier says,

"A man who is wrapped up in himself makes a pretty small package in life."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true, Revka. I appreciate your perspective immensely!

Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family!

Revka said...

Thanks for stopping by, Holly. I apprecaite your taking the time to read my post, and I hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas as well.