The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Thank God it's .... MONDAY!

Thank God it's Monday! That sounds backward, doesn't it? I'm just thankful things will be back to normal around here.

It was a hectic weekend. On Friday night my mom arrived to spend a couple of days with us. In November she is traveling to see one of my sisters who lives several hundred miles away. My sister has a little 2yo boy and is scheduled to have her daughter via C-section while Mom is visiting. My Mom came to visit me with the specific intention of our going to a local thrift store that sells their stuff at garage-sale prices where she planned to purchase clothing for my sister's kids. We intended to leave early on Saturday morning, do her shopping, and be back at my house in time for my piano lesson at 11:00; however, when I called to check on store hours, they didn't open until 10:00. GRRRR! OK, that plan changed.

During the meantime, my husband's relatives had arrived to help work on the building some more. I taught the scheduled lesson, and then my husband told me he needed me to go to BDC to get more supplies. Fine, they close at 1:00 p.m., and it is only 11:45 a.m. now. Plenty of time, right? I made the list of items he requested and then got sidetracked with someone else's needs. When I finally was able to go to the building center, it was already 12:15. I got all the supplies on the list and arrived home at 12:55 only to find out that the shingles I had purchased were the wrong color, and I had somehow missed the fact that my husband needed additional supplies of 2 kinds of nails instead of the 1 kind I purchased. Double GRRRRR! I called the manager at the building center, and he very graciously told me that he would wait for me until 1:15. I immediately grabbed a shingle sample and one of the nails I had not known to purchase and jumped back in the truck. I arrived in time. That was a good beginning. Unfortunately, the shingle color we needed was no longer in stock. They sold me a (more expensive) bundle of shingles that was the closest match they could find. I gave them the nail I had, and they got me a box of that nail; except, when I got back to the house, the nails they sold me were not the same as the sample I gave them to match. By this point I was completely exasperated! My husband said that they could make do with the supplies they now had.

I proceeded to hang some curtains in my girls' room. Then I put the two youngest kids down for a nap and asked my husband if he needed my help for anything. Since he did not, Mom and I headed to the store.

That turned out well. Kids' clothes from newborn-6x were on sale for 25 cents, and sizes 7-14 were 5o cents. Mom was able to get more than 50 items for less than $20. We arrived home about 5:30 p.m.

Everyone was just finishing up on the building for the day. The roof had been completed and most of the siding was in place. All the relatives loaded up and went home.

After supper, Mom, the girls, and I headed to church. The next day was Homecoming Sunday, and Jack Green, the visiting preacher, had arrived early enough to preach on Saturday night as well. It was a good sermon, and I was glad to be able to relax.

We got home sometime after 9:00 p.m. I got the girls in bed and worked on some other chores I needed to complete. Sunday was a blur like always. Mom went to church in the morning and ate lunch with us before loading up her car and heading back home. Of course we went back to church that night. We went to bed at 10:00 p.m., about an hour earlier than normal.

So that's why I am glad it is Monday! I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm not anxious for a repeat of mine anytime soon!

1 comments:

Revka said...

I guess we need the busy times to help us appreciate the more, um... relaxed (boring!) ones