The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Me at my finest

I'm going to let you in on a little secret - there are times (lots of times!) when my brain simply does not function, and it can get downright embarrassing. It happened again just yesterday. I wrote up this nice post about The New Parent, a blog I really enjoy. Toward the end of the post, I somehow referred to the blog's author as Steve. I have also been e-mailing back and forth with this person. In the last e-mail his signature read, "-Frank (or steve... smile)." I had not noticed that I had referred to him as Steve (IN MY OWN BLOG!!!) so crazy me thought that Frank was telling me that his real name was actually Steve. I e-mailed back, and this is what I wrote:

Hi, Steve(!)

Well, I am a very literal person, and it never occurred to me that your real name might not be Frank. Now I have to adjust my mental image of you. For some reason, it does make a difference in my mind whether you are Frank or Steve. (smile) BTW, my real name actually is Revka. :)
Oh, mama mia! When for some reason I re-read my post and saw that I was the one who had first called him Steve, I was ready to die of mortification! Of course, I hastily e-mailed a humble apology to him and told him to just call me a ditz and get it over with. So if I start calling any of you by a new name, just laugh and post a comment that I am a ditz. ;) Oh, and, yes, I did correct the original post, too.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The New Parent here, or is it Steve, maybe Frank--(laugh). I was wondering who that Steve was you referred to. I never thought of myself as a Steve, but then what is a Steve?
The ongoing chats we're having are, for me, why I blog. Discussion about real issues that are impacting our lives as parents---oh, and they're fun. At least, I hope Steve thinks so.

Revka said...

I definitely enjoy establishing relationships and sharing ideas. I really have become addicted to blogging! I'm just glad you're still coming back, John - oops, was that supposed to be Bob, or Jimbo, or...? :)

Anonymous said...

Bob here--so what is the derivation of your name-Revka?

Revka said...

Revka is Hebrew for Rebekah so if I lived in Israel, I guess my name would be as common as Rebekah is here. My parents witnessed to Jews and gave all of kids Hebrew names, but they got more "normal" as they went along. (Shoshannah, Revka, Rakel, Peter, and Sarah) I'm just glad I wasn't a boy! If the first 3 of us girls had been a boy, we would have been named Methuselah Perez ... can you imagine! My parents are nuts sometimes, but aren't we all.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I was simply named after a grandfather. Not quite as colorful a tale. I'm always fascinated by the way people get their names. It tells a bit about the family dynamic.
Thanks for that insight.

Revka said...

You're welcome. I get asked that question quite often.

Revka said...

Yes, naming a child impacts the future, and you certainly don't want to be the one stuck with a childish name! I am most thankful that I am a girl - I have tried to think what i would have ended up being nicknamed if I were a boy - Selah, Thuzy? The whole name is just horrible!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... Naming our child took a bit of time and like you, Karen, we chose a name we thought would fit our daughter at any age.

Revka said...

I am really picky when it comes to names. All three have to sound good together - I already knew before I had kids that I would be calling them by all 3 names when they were in trouble! :)