The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Making science popular

(photo courtesy of fotosearch)

My husband loves watching the television crime scene investigation shows (NCIS, CSI, etc.) and is fascinated by the methods that are used to analyze evidence. While these shows are not real to life in that the bad guy is always caught (usually within the hour allotted for the program) and some of the featured technology is not widely available to police forces, the interest in all things scientific generated by these shows is a very good thing for society. Science was once the exclusive domain of geeks, but no longer. People are more aware of the technology that is available and the demand for such technology, dna testing services being one (popular) example, has increased. More students are interested in careers in criminal investigation and other science fields, a trend that bodes well for the future inasmuch as there will always be a new disease to study or a slippery criminal to track down. Love them or hate them, this is one instance where popular TV shows have actually had a positive impact on society - which is a welcome change!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. How did you get the line spacing to vary from post to post?

Interesting thought. Much of TV, for me, is too aggressive and confrontational. But I think what you're saying has real merit.

Revka said...

You know, I wondered that myself when I looked at the published post. I guess it's just one of the many Blogger mysteries! I wish I did know the answer.

My husband loves television and movies. He grew up on it. I, on the other hand, love to read and really could care less about TV. I only watch programs because he watches them and wants me to watch them with him. There are very few programs that I think are worthwhile, and the majority of those are on PBS. Don't even get me started on the subject of cartoons! Our kids are only allowed to watch PBS cartoons, and not even all of those are Mommy-approved. In addition to the above commentary, TV is a huge time waster. There are days I honestly wish we could get rid of the one TV we have.

Anonymous said...

Well, I do agree with you about TV. Our daughter watches one PBS show, maybe once a week. Otherwise she plays and works at things that encourage her participation, curiosity and helpfulness.

And, boy, is TV a time waster.