The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Analog(y)

photo courtesy of fotosearch.com

I'd like to share an analogy that occurred to me recently.

We all know that whether a watch is a Jaeger LeCoultre or a Wal-Mart special, it serves one primary purpose - to tell time. We Christians are like that watch: no matter what our outward appearance or our social standing may be, our lives serve one primary purpose - to glorify God.

When a watch battery is depleted, the watch can no longer keep accurate time. Likewise, when our spiritual stores are depleted, chances are good that we will more often sin and fail to glorify God. The good news is that, unlike a disposable battery, such as a watch battery, our spiritual battery is rechargeable. However, the only way to recharge that battery is to connect with the Source of our power (God) by reading His Word and talking to Him in prayer.

Too often, I fail to recognize just how imperative it is that I take the time each day to recharge and instead allow other activities to crowd out my time of spiritual refreshment. When that happens, I inevitably become spiritually weak and am easy prey for temptations that come my way. I no longer consistently fulfill my purpose of glorifying God. It is only when I resume regular quiet times with God that I once again have the power to resist temptation.

Are you finding yourself more often succumbing to temptation? Perhaps your spiritual battery, too, is in need of recharging. If that is the case, the good news is that you don't have to wait to reconnect with God. He is always available and is always eager to fellowship with His children. Take time now to return to the Source of your strength.

0 comments: