The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Glasses Be Gone!

I wish I had pictures to illustrate my tale, but my scanner is out of commission right now. So just imagine I shared all my lovely photos with you.

When I was in 3rd grade (just 8 years old), I found out that I needed glasses - very thick glasses. The only frames my parents could afford were those thick and huge plastic frames. Oh, how I hated my glasses! To make matters worse, my eyesight continued to deteriorate, meaning my lenses grew thicker with each subsequent visit to the optometrist.

None of my friends or family seemed to mind the ugly glasses. No one teased me about being a "four eyes" or called me other names. (Of course, that was probably due to the fact that they knew I would beat them up if they had the temerity to do that - no joke.) But I hated wearing glasses.

As I recall, I was a junior in high school (1993-1994) before I finally had enough money (and my parents' permission) to get contact lenses. Since we lived on the Texas/Mexico border, we traveled to Reynosa, Mexico where I finally got my coveted contact lenses at a much cheaper price than I would have paid in the U.S.A. - I was so happy with my contacts!

Most of the years since have found me wearing contacts. A couple of times, I have lost my contacts and have had to resort to wearing glasses again. I still hate them as much as I did when I was in school. Two years ago, I finally made the switch from gas-permeable (semi-rigid) lenses to soft lenses. That is nice! Now, if I lose a lens or if one of the children decides it looks like something to eat (Pookie Bear did that one time), I have another lens to replace the lost/broken one.

If you wear glasses and are not satisfied with them, why not consider switching to contact lenses? If you wish to conduct research in order to make an informed decision regarding changing your eye wear, the Internet provides a wealth of information. You might consult a contact lens guide or view a contact lens wearer's frequently asked question page. It is even possible to save money on your lens' purchase by browsing a contact lens coupon page.

Whatever your situation, contact lenses may be your best chance for telling your glasses, "Be gone!"

0 comments: