The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fruit Defines the Tree

illustration courtesy of fotosearch.com

Ever since Pookie was born, I have prayed that while my children were young, they would understand and accept God's gift of salvation. Yet because of my own road to salvation, I was/am very afraid of pushing my children into making a false profession of faith. So I have continued to pray and have talked with the children as they have had questions or as a situation has led to an opening.

Over the past year or so, Pookie has asked more and more questions relating to life after death and salvation. I have tried to answer her questions as clearly as possible, yet I could tell by her responses and additional questions that she still didn't "get it." I refrained from asking her if she would like to get saved, merely telling her that anyone who does not ask Jesus to forgive him of his sins will go to hell when he dies. A couple of times she proudly told me that she had asked God to forgive her for her sins, but my questions to her revealed that she was still confused as to why she needed to do that and what happens when someone ask to be saved.

This year, our church had Vacation Bible School from July 7-11. All three girls went and had a fabulous time. On Thursday night, we were riding home when Pookie complained to me that she hadn't raised her hand to be saved. I told her that she could raise her hand the next night if she wanted. As it turns out, she did just that.

When I picked the girls up on Friday night, Pookie's teacher told me that she had gotten saved. I thought that was great but didn't get too excited because I figured she was probably still confused. I didn't say anything to her about it, but she brought it up on her own and told me that she had asked God to forgive her of her sins and to save her. I told her that I was happy, but I was determined to adopt a "wait and see" attitude.

On Wednesday, I talked to the helper who had led her to the Lord and asked what had happened. She said that Pookie had raised her hand, surprising the helper who thought that Pookie was already saved. The helper asked Pookie why she was raising her hand, and Pookie replied that she wanted to ask God to save her. The helper took Pookie through some Scriptures, and Pookie seemed to understand and know all about it. She did pray and asked God for salvation.

I noticed that after Pookie's profession of salvation, her evening prayers were drastically different. Instead of just thanking God for the day and for the fun she had playing with her sisters, she prayed for God to help her sisters and baby brother to ask Him to save them so our whole family could be in Heaven. The whole spirit of her prayers was different.

Yesterday, we were at a park. Pookie told me that she needed to tell our neighbors about God and how to be saved so that they could go to heaven. I told her that was a good idea. Then she told me that we needed to tell everyone at the park about God so they could be saved. Again, I told her that was a good idea. Then, she picked out a girl about her age, went up to her, and talked to her for several minutes about God. How convicting! Here I, her mother, was - too afraid of people's reactions to open my mouth, and she blithely skips up to another child and shares the Gospel to the best of her ability.

Tonight, her Junior Church teacher told me that her prayer request for last Sunday was to thank God that she had gotten saved and to pray that she would live for Him. This little tree is already bearing fruit. None of the things she has done or said have been at our urging but instead have come from a tender heart that loves God. Oh, that my heart would be tender as this little child's!

Please pray for Pookie that she would continue to grow in Christ, and pray for Mr. Incredible and me that we would be the examples that we need to be for her and that we would be able to give her the discipling that she needs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Revka, how very, very wonderful.

It's the beginning of a beautiful journey, and you get to walk with her!

Anonymous said...

I agree - that is wonderful! We will pray for her...thanks for sharing that story too!

Suzel O'Donnell said...

Hi Revka,

I was touched by your post. I have being Christian all my life but I met Jesus for the first time in my thirties. Following me came my son, my daughter, my mother, my sister and her daughters. Today, I really believe that God prepares each of us for what He wants us to be. You are a blessing as every of you. Keep thanking Lord and asking for guidance, because He IS THE LORD. Don't be anxious, but rest in HIM. Our lives are the true example of our Christianity. I know how difficult is approaching people to say about God and salvation. We all can plant that special seed..."LOVE"...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Holly. I am excited and in trepidation at the same time. I don't want to be a stumbling block to her.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dramamama, for you comment and the prayers. :)

Anonymous said...

Suzel, thank you for your comment and encouragement. It means a lot. :)

ThriftyMommy said...

Awww, that melts my heart. I know you are so proud and thankful.