The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Unused Exercise Equipment

I have to wonder how much money our nation spends on exercise equipment that is seldom, if ever, used. I cannot tell you how many weight benches, treadmills, and elliptical trainers I have seen on FreeCycle boards and at garage sales. I know that I once purchased a weight bench at a garage sale. It cost me $20 but had no weights. I invested another $20 (maybe more, I'm not sure) in a weight set and used the thing maybe 15 times. I ended up selling it at a garage sale, barely recouping what I had invested in it.

Why do we do this? Is it because we are not aware of or do not wish to acknowledge our own weaknesses? I have learned that I will not stick to an exercise routine based on this kind of equipment. I do much better using DVDs with aerobic and cardio routines. Now, I am no longer tempted by what a great deal a piece of bulky exercise equipment is. For me, it's not a great deal; it's a waste of money.

Do you have any unused exercise equipment lying around your house? Why is it unused? What works better for you?

0 comments: