The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Responsible Leadership

It isn't just businesses that need a succession plan. The governing body of the U.S. of A. gives us a great example of having a succession plan in place: should the President die or have to leave office for any reason, the Vice President will step into his position. If something happens to both the President and the Vice President, the Speaker of the House becomes the President, and so it goes. The Presidential succession plan includes 14 levels.

Churches would benefit from having a man ready to step into the senior pastor's shoes at a moment's notice; families would benefit from parents teaching the older children how to assume the mantel of responsibility in their parents' absence; the family "bookkeeper" should make sure that another family member is familiar with the method used to maintain the finances and knows where all needed information is kept.

In my opinion, anyone in a leadership position, no matter how minor, needs to have at least one other person ready to step into that position at any time. It's a matter of responsibility and making sure that your role can be adequately filled in your absence.

Do you have a succession plan for your position?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Revka,

I wholeheartedly agree that every leader should have at least one person ready to step in. In fact, I view it as part of the responsibility of a leader – mentoring. Mentoring is, in part, preparing another to fill the responsibilities of leadership at some point in time in the future. A mentorship plan should include succession at anticipated and unanticipated moments – that is responsible leadership.

Regards,
Jonathan Frye
Blog: Leadership

Anonymous said...

Hi R--interesting thoughts. My wife can assume my position in my work (we're partners), so that has always been thought out.

I like some of the points you raise and think this is a wonderful post (smile)!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jonathan! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave your comment and for adding the aspect of mentoring to the ideas I mentioned in my post. That is something I had not considered, but I do believe your statements are correct. Thank you for expanding this post so nicely. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Frank. :) Good to see you again.

I didn't realize that you are your wife are business partners, too. I think that is unique and quite wonderful. I bet you rest easier knowing that she can step into your shoes.

I'm glad you liked this post, and thanks for leaving your kind comment. :)