The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Beauty of Strong Men

(I promised you this post was coming.)

Beauty can be found in many places - often in the most unexpected of places. This week's Carnival of Beauty topic is The Beauty of Strong Men

I don't know about you, but "beauty" is not the first word that pops into my mind in relation to men. (Sorry, guys, no offense intended!) Beauty just doesn't seem like a masculine word. However, as I considered what I would write, I discovered more and more ways that strong men are beautiful.

First, let's talk about what it means to be a "strong man." That phrase immediately conjures up the image of a body builder with bulging muscles and little to no body fat. Physical strength is very attractive in a man. Men are often envious of the fellow with the great physique, and women talk about how handsome he is and may fantasize about being "his woman." We all know what happens eventually: time takes its toll, and all that physical beauty diminishes and ultimately disappears.

The good news it that strength, like beauty, is more than just physical attributes. A man need not be a muscle-bound body builder to be beautiful, for integrity and strength of character create a beauty that, unlike physical beauty, will weather the ravages of time. The pudgy man who walks with God and has developed godly character commands more lasting admiration than the handsome male who is also haughty.

I admire that which is upright and sturdy - a fine house, an old oak tree, whatever is made with quality. A man who walks with God develops strong character and becomes a man of integrity who can be an example for others to follow as he follows Christ. (I will soon post on what to do when a good man falls.)

A strong man is a leader; he may only lead his family, but he is a leader, nonetheless. My husband is such a man. Quiet and unassuming, he may not command much attention in public, but I know that he will take care of his family, and I can count on his guiding our home. I have confidence in his judgment and know that no decision will be made rashly but with much prayer and reflection. I admire Mr. Incredible for his strong character and find him as handsome now as I did on our wedding day. Sure, I know that time is already working its changes, but somehow I still see him as the handsome groom who made my heart race as I pledged to be his wife.

In all of this rambling, I have been trying to make the following point: the greatest beauty of strong men is the beauty that reflects Christ and lights the way for those who follow behind. I thank God for the strong men who have stood tall and inspired me in my Christian walk.

2 comments:

Suzel O'Donnell said...

"Strong" or "not", I use to say that the "Beauty" is in a BIG HEART...

Take Care

Anonymous said...

I don't think you rambled at all. I loved your post.

Reading about all yall's strong men this evening . . . it is really hard not to be envious.

what a blessing!!