The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Family life - Thanksgiving style


Thrifty Mommy is hosting The Carnival of Family Life - Thanksgiving style and is asking for recipes and decorating tips. I have the absolute BEST Thanksgiving recipe to enter.

My maiden name was McKinley which is not too common. I grew up in South Texas, and during the winter months, a "Winter Texan" couple who shared our last name attended our church. They became our adopted grandparents, and we loved spending time with them. They normally invited us over for Thanksgiving, and Grandma McKinley always made this delicious and colorful corn casserole. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Grandma gave us girls the recipe, and one year I made it for my husband's family's Thanksgiving celebration. It has been requested almost every year since that time.

Grandma McKinley's Corn Casserole

1 can cream-style corn
1/2 can water chestnuts
2 eggs
1/4 c. chopped green peppers
3/4 c. cracker crumbs
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. milk
1 jar pimentos
1/4 c. sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine

Mix together everything except the melted butter. Pour butter over top. Bake at 350-375F about an hour.

This post is an entry in the Carnival of Family Life #28 - Thanksgiving Thoughts and Feelings hosted by Thrifty Mommy.

1 comments:

Revka said...

I hope you love it as much as I do. My Thanksgiving never feels right without it, and it's great for anytime of the year.