The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Where Will You Spend Eternity?

Layne's funeral went well with both laughter and tears. I heard there were over 300 people in attendance, and Mr. Incredible and I saw people we hadn't seen in nearly a decade.

Layne was one of 5 brothers, and every single one of them is/was a preacher. Sharon has two brothers, and one is a preacher. So Layne chose to have two brothers from each side of the family speak during the memorial service and told them that they only had 5 minutes to speak. He said that the people attending the service could thank him in Heaven. I had to chuckle when Layne's oldest brother told us he had said that, but they didn't stick to the 5-minute limit too well. *smile*

Laughter and tears characterized the service. Layne was a fun-loving, mischievous boy who grew up into a fun-loving and mischievous man. His brothers and brothers-in-law recounted several funny stories of Layne's mischief-making. Everyone had to laugh.

The tears came several times for me: when his family members sang, when letters to his wife and children were read, and when I saw Sharon's incredible control break briefly.

I'm so glad we had the opportunity to go, and I was honored to be able to play for the congregational singing and one special. I was amazed at how at home I felt even after nearly 3 years away.

Whether we are given 1 year or 100 years, life is short and passes by all too quickly. But this life isn't all there is. Each one of us has a soul that lives somewhere forever - either in Heaven or in hell. Knowing that Layne had trusted Jesus Christ as his Savior, I know that I will see him again in Heaven. That is a comforting fact. However, I'd hate to not see you in Heaven.

If you haven't trusted Christ as your Savior, I urge you to do so before you reach your last day here on earth. I'd be more than happy to tell you how to be saved. Just contact me if you have any questions.

0 comments: