The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Monday, September 01, 2008

Frumpy No More! (It's All About Me)

I hope you have all had a good labor day. Mine has lived up to its name. *laugh*

Though that sounded funny, it wasn't a joke. I've had a productive day around the house today - finally got Buddy Bear's room cleaned and all his gifts put away (now I can show you photos of his cute room!), folded and put away multiple boxes of girl clothing, and got all the dishes washed (no small feat, let me assure you).

I really didn't have a choice. We begin school again tomorrow (still have to clean the school room tomorrow morning), and I have a new piano student starting tomorrow. And here I thought my life was busy already...

About the title. I am so happy to be able to say that! Since Mr. Incredible likes long hair, I let my hair grow. I also took the advice of some of my girl friends to let my bangs grow out. What a mistake! I started having to braid my hair at night just to keep it from being a horrifically tangled mess in the morning, and without bangs, my face looked fatter, and my forehead and nose were even more prominent, as you shall see.

Mr. Incredible kindly suggested that I cut my hair on our anniversary trip. I was relieved he suggested it, because I would never have felt like I deserved to spend the money on myself. But I hated how I looked.

The stylist was nice and did a good job cutting my hair. Here are before and after pics. I look less happy after the cut because I still wasn't quite happy with the way I looked.





I wasn't entirely happy with my new look because I still didn't have the bangs to cover my forehead like I wanted. So a couple of days ago, I cut them myself. Here's the end result.






Much better, no? I finally feel confident and happy with my appearance once again. I took the pictures myself, too. They are actually reflections of me in our bathroom vanity mirror. *laugh*

14 comments:

Shoshannah said...

The pics look good Revk. The side bangs looked good too. Who took the pics at the end?

Shoshannah said...

It always feels good to get fixed up during and after pregnancy.

Revka said...

I did. The before/after pics were taken in our hotel room by Mr. Incredible. And I still have the side bangs if I want to use them. :)

Lynlee said...

You look beautiful........before and after.....but i know what you mean about the bangs. i practically feel naked without them. mine are longer now, but i can still do a lot with them. you and sho both look great........especially after having 4 kids! i only have 2 and my body shows i big time. glad you and your hubby got to get away for your anniversary!

Anonymous said...

You look great! :) It is so nice to get a new haircut, especially when you are happy about it :)

Anonymous said...

hmmmm. I would have to start rethinking who my friends are. You need bangs like a fiddler needs a...uh....that thing he plays. I have cut my own hair all my life. It's baby fine unlike yours. And bangs help hide the wrinkles in your forehead when you get to be my age. Last two photos? Mahvelous dahling!

Anonymous said...

Hey Revka, I love the new look. How did the stylist get you hair to stay straight back. The way your hair lyes and the bangs really make the stlye. It was made just for you.

Andrew said...

I think you have really pretty hair, and the new look is very nice on you. I don't think I could do bangs because they would make me look a lot younger and I think they would drive me nuts since I have never had any but yours look great! I really enjoy reading your blog and looking at all the pictures of you and your family. Your kids are so cute! Kayla

Revka said...

Thanks, Lynlee! And trust me, my body shows that I have had 4 kids. Flabby tummy, anyone? :)

Revka said...

Thanks, Linda. It feels really good and is a huge relief not to feel frumpy anymore.

Revka said...

Aw, thanks for all your nice comments, Kayla! I'm glad you're stopping by. :)

Revka said...

Well, they are good friends, but I certainly won't be taking hair advice from them anymore, Dana! LOL!

And, yeah, I really, really need bangs, just like that fiddler needs his fiddle. :)

Thanks for the nice words. :)

Revka said...

Hey, Anon! I can't figure out who you are - guess that's the point of being anonymous, huh? :)

In the bottom two pictures, my hair wasn't done by the stylist. I did it myself, and it's one of my favorite ways to wear my hair - the top and part of the sides pulled back and fastened with a barrette or, in this case, two bobby pins. It has always been one of the most flattering styles for me.

Thanks for the nice comment. :)

ThriftyMommy said...

You do look happier and less "frumpy". lol I'm ready to spend some money on my frumpy self too!!!! Great pictures. I can't believe you took those yourself.