The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Back to School

all images courtesy of Fotosearch Stock Photography

Yesterday didn't go at all the way I had planned, but it turned out to be okay anyway.

I had a new piano student scheduled to come sometime in the afternoon. Since she lives an hour away from me, we had agreed that she would stop in for a lesson on her way back from a nearby town. I spent much of the morning finishing the cleaning I had started the day before but hadn't finished. The house was in better shape than it had been in a while. Great!

We took a break for lunch. I intended to have school after lunch, and the girls were very excited about it. Then I got a phone call from my student saying that she was finished in town and was on her way to my house. The town is 30-45 minutes from my house, depending on where you are in the town. Okay, school will wait.

Only... an hour and a half later, I am still waiting for my student to arrive. It turns out she got some bad directions from two people in the town. It was 3:00 when she finally found my house, and it was 4:15 when she left.

I had the foresight to put supper's entree in the crockpot in the morning. Shortly after the piano lesson, I decided to go ahead and put the butter beans on to cook. (Around here, lima beans are called butter beans.) From a frozen state, they take a good 45 minutes to cook completely, and I wanted to have supper ready around 5:30 for a change.

I received a call and was talking to my friend. All of a sudden, I smelled burned butter beans - not a pleasant aroma. Oh, no! Turns out the water had boiled down quite a bit and the butter beans on the bottom had burned pretty badly. I threw out the beans and put some more on to boil.

By this time, I knew Mr. Incredible would be getting home at any time, so the girls and I proceeded to pick up their messes in the living room. (He doesn't like coming home to a messy living room.) At least the house looked nice again!

Mr. Incredible arrived home, and supper was ready when he got out of the shower. We ate, and then it was finally time for school - at 8 p.m.! *rueful grin* School was rather backward from start to finish. The girls helped me hang some old posters and visual aids and the new ones we had purchased for this year. As we hung the items, we went over them together, providing a good review. We ended the session by saying our pledges, singing the national anthem, and having family prayers.

Whew! What a way to start the school year! :) At least the girls did enjoy it, and, surprisingly, I actually didn't get too stressed out yesterday, even though nothing went as planned.

Today, I have to go to town to stock up in preparation for Hurricane Hannah which appears to be headed our way on Friday or Saturday. Yippee skippee.

How have you been doing?


Anonymous said...

What are you super woman. That is very commendable. I am glad that you find ways to make home school fun too. Not only for yourself but the children. I love the fact that you share so much love for your family on the blog. The kind things that you say about your husband will reward you later in life. Good luck with your home school this year.