The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Going for the Gold

Michael Phelps' feat is astonishing: 8 gold medals and 7 world records in 8 Olympic events. The whole world applauds what he has accomplished, and it is right that his achievement be recognized.

However, his noteworthy achievement did not happen by chance. He didn't decide one morning a month or two ago that he was going to compete in the Olympics and try to win 8 gold medals. No, his achievement is the result of years of unnoticed sacrifice and determined dedication.

We Christians, too, are going for the gold. Our gold, however, is not a temporary award we will receive here on earth. It is the eternal reward we will receive in heaven. We will not receive applause for our sacrifices and dedication here on earth. On the contrary, people may laugh at us and think we are crazy because of what we sacrifice and the dedication we exhibit in our life as a Christian.

"Why can't you [fill in the blank]?" people may question. "There's nothing wrong with it."

They may be right; there may be nothing wrong with the activity in question. But if it doesn't help us in the right direction, it is something that should be sacrificed if we wish to reach our final goal - "Well done, thou good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of thy Lord."

Not only am I going for the gold in my Christian life, but I am also striving for excellence in my roles as a woman, wife, and mother. I don't have time for myself? That's okay. My family needs me, and I am going for the gold. People wonder why I stay at home or home school my children? Those are sacrifices Mr. Incredible and I have chosen to make so that we can give our children what we deem best for them.

There are many other areas where I have chosen to go for the gold, and in many of those areas I need to recommit myself to sacrificing what is holding me back from reaching those goals.

How about you? Are you going for the gold?

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Revka, That was very inspirational to me. I guess I had never thought about the Christian walk being like the olympics, in that we too are going for the gold. As you mentioned though our gold far outweighs that of any gold ever won here on earth, because although the gold medals won here will someday be gone our heavenly reward will never fade. It is for eternity! Praise the Lord and we must remember to keep on keeping on! Thanks for your encouraging words! Kayla

Anonymous said...

this was especially encouraging to me tonight. i've been thru some things the past couple of weeks (months, years?!), but especially just today that were really upsetting. when that happens, i notice that i start getting overwhelmed and it really starts taking it's toll fast, in every way. stopping and looking at "the big picture", and remembering what the real goal is, can help those anxieties be put into perspective. thanks for this. lynlee

Anonymous said...

Revka, you were talking to ME right? It's like when I'm sitting in church and I KNOW the preacher is throwing me the stink eye and has been reading my diary.

Anonymous said...

Kayla, I'm glad you found this inspirational and encouraging. I was thinking of Phelps' incredible feat and the sacrifices it took, and then the analogy hit me.

Anonymous said...

Lynlee, you are so welcome. I'm glad my words were a help to you. You know I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Dana, I was talking to me. :) But I'm glad this post spoke to you as well.