The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Why I Don't Drink

clipart courtesy of fotosearch.com

I don't like alcohol. Actually, I guess that's not a true statement. I don't think I like alcohol. I have to say think because I have never tasted an alcoholic beverage (nor smoked a cigarette nor taken any illegal substances), and I have no intention of ever consuming any amount of an alcoholic beverage, either. (Does cough medicine count as an alcoholic beverage? *smile*) I do know that I do not like the potential effects of alcohol consumption.

From my observations, alcohol appears to be a seductive siren, luring the unwary into succumbing to her advertised charms. On the one hand, if you don't drink, you could be labeled a goody-goody, or people might think you are rude for not joining them in drinking "just one." On the other, "everyone's" drinking, it seems like fun, and the advertisements portray those who do drink as intelligent, witty, and the life of the proverbial party. Who wouldn't want a part of that?

Unfortunately, those slick advertisements don't show you what may await at the end of what is all too often a slippery slope: the man who spends on alcohol every penny he can find, not caring that the money he is spending in a vain attempt to quench his unquenchable thirst is needed to pay bills or buy clothes and food; the college coed whose judgment is impaired by having one too many and ends up being easy prey for an uncaring (or worse) male; the person who ends up killing another person because he decided to drive after drinking; the homeless person who lost everything because of his alcoholism - the scenarios are nearly unending, and none of them are pretty.

You see, alcohol doesn't care about your wealth or social status. For every celebrity who makes the news for entering (yet again) into rehab, there are many others quietly entering alcohol rehabs in an attempt to break their bondage to the fiery drink. There are many paths to alcohol abuse/addiction: the poor drink to forget their poverty, the rich drink because society "demands" it, the sorrowful drink to drown their sorrows, and the happy drink to celebrate their happiness. Yet drinking can be compared to playing Russian roulette: you never know which drink will be the one when you became a drunkard.

No, thank you. I'm not taking chances. If I don't take that first drink, I will never become an alcoholic. Your life is yours to live, and I am not telling you how to live it. May I, however, kindly advise that you avoid even the beginning of the path that could lead to your destruction?

12 comments:

*Tanyetta* said...

Well said. :)

ThriftyMommy said...

Ugh. I can't even stand the smell of alcohol. It makes me nauseous just to smell it. I certainly can't drink anything that smells that bad!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Revka...I hear you...and I understand what you're saying...

but I enjoy it from time to time.

NOT to excess, not carelessly, but yes, I enjoy.

And I love Jesus.

And it makes me sad it's such a divisive issue in the Church.

It's interesting to me that Jesus turning water into wine is His first recorded miracle in Scripture; I've bounced around a thousand ideas about the "whys" of that, but suffice it to say, it's interesting to me.

I DO understand where it's hurt so many and who knows what slippery slope it will lead to; but that being said, for me, it's not an issue. There have been several people in my "sphere" who have listened to me because they don't feel judgment where this very issue is concerned...I've earned the "right" to share my faith with them, to converse with them about the person of Christ. Not BECAUSE I drink, but b/c I don't judge them if they do. I guess it's made me "real" to them...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and I HOPE I haven't offended you...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tanyetta.

I don't want people to think I am judging or condemning them if they choose differently. Like I said, that is their choice. I would just rather not even start on something that has the potential for such negative effects. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Karen,

I don't even know what it smells like, so I guess I can't compare notes - LOL.

I've wondered about that aspect of it myself.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Robin,
I'm glad you stopped by and took the time to leave your comment. No, I did not find it offensive in the least. We just made different choices, and that is fine. :)

This post was written not to be judgmental or condemning but rather to share why I personally don't drink.

I definitely agree that being judgmental or preachy on this issue (or any, for that matter) can be a stumbling block to our reaching others for Christ. It makes me think of a post I'm working on over at Weekend Kindness about keeping mercy and truth with us at all times - truth without mercy is harsh and unloving, and mercy without truth is wishy-washy hypocrisy.

Anyway, thanks again, Robin! :)

Anonymous said...

Great post! I found you through the NaBloPoMo randomiser!

I can agree wholeheartedly with you on some points... but on others, not so much.

Yes, I've had the occasional drink, mainly in the warmer months over Christmas (I'm in Australia, so Christmas is in the middle of summer). It's definitely not something I do on a regular basis - and I don't see why anyone would.
I know lots of people who go out several nights a week, just for the sake of going out and getting drunk. I don't get that... I think it's stupid.

I have a drink, very rarely, I have to be really in the mood for it - I can't drink for the sake of drinking. And I usually only have 2, and that's more than enough for me. It's all about knowing your personal limits.

I can understand how you won't allow yourself to be tempted, but I guess it depends on the individual. I can understand some people flat out refusing it if they have an addictive personality, or if it's based on religion etc, like yours may be. Like you said, it's all about choice!

ThriftyMommy said...

Revka, When I used to work at McDonald's there was a bar/club across the street. The Marines would go across the street and get drunk and then come and hit on me. The smell was horrible! Needless to say, I never went out with any of them!

Shoshannah said...

Ok, when we were little, we picked up cans along the road to recycle them for money. Dad picked up a beer can and held it close to my nose. He said, "You see how that smells? That's exactly how it tastes." Because of that instance, I've never desired to drink. The other reason I don't drink is because in Proverbs the Bible states not to look on wine when it moves itself aright in the cup. I think that's pretty clear.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kelly! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your opinion on this topic. I do appreciate it and the spirit in which you commented. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fun, Karen! (she said sarcastically) :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't get that experience that I can remember, Sho, but I definitely have to agree with the statement about Proverbs.