The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Defending My Reputation

Remember my post about Sen. Ernie Chambers' lawsuit against God? [Edited 9/27/2007 11:21 a.m.] An anonymous (of course) A not-so-anonymous-anymore (thanks to Stat Counter) [end edit] visitor left the follow comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should use more sources than Fox News (what a joke of an organization). Every other source I've come across all said he's doing it to protest frivilous [sic] lawsuits, not to protest legislation that would prevent them. This is why a good blogger uses multiple sources.

9/27/2007 8:33 AM


Had I not consulted multiple sources before posting my thoughts, I would have conducted another search. If I had found that the information in my post was, indeed, incorrect, I would have published a correction and an apology. I believe in publishing truth on this blog.

Here is my response to "Anonymous":

Revka said...

Hi, Anonymous. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave your comment. I appreciate it. I do hope you have subscribed to the comments for this post so that you may receive my reply.

First, let me say that I do strive to be a conscientious blogger. I check multiple sources for stories like this. I just happened to choose Fox News as the story to which I linked.

I can understand how you reached the conclusion that Sen. Chambers filed his frivolous suit to protest other frivolous suits. Some news sources have edited Mr. Chambers' remarks in such a way that they seem to say that he was protesting the filing of frivolous lawsuits. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Here are further (non-Fox) sources proving this point.

Quoting from KETV7, an ABC TV station serving Omaha, NE and surrounding areas:

"State Sen. Ernie Chambers is suing God. He said on Monday that it is to prove a point about frivolous lawsuits.

Chambers said senators periodically have offered bills prohibiting the filing of certain types of suits. He said his main objection is that the constitution requires that the doors to the courthouse be open to all.

"Thus anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody -- even God," Chambers said." [italics and bold mine]

From CNN.com:

"He [Chambers] said he's trying to make the point that anybody can sue anybody."

From an NBC affiliate, WOWT6:

'Nebraska State Senator Ernie Chambers has filed a lawsuit against God. He says he just wants to make the point that the constitution allows a lawsuit to be filed for any reason. ... Senator Chambers says, "This is a way to show that anyone can sue anyone including God."'

Also see the Omaha World Herald, Head-On Radio Network, Now Public, ... I could cite numerous other sources, but this comment is plenty long.

In the future, it would behoove you to make sure that you have your facts straight before accusing someone else of not having their facts straight.

Thanks for dropping by. You have a nice day now.

9/27/2007 9:48 AM