The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Pig picking time

clip art courtesy of fotosearch.com

It's that time again: time to break out the folding chairs. This time it is Mr. Incredible's maternal grandmother's side of the family that is getting together. (Did you follow that description alright? *smile*)

Summer is the time for barbecues, and a favorite North Carolina barbecue is referred to as a pig picking. I had never heard of such a thing until I moved up here and married Mr. Incredible. For those of you who do not understand to what I am referring, let me explain. At a pig-picking, a whole pig is barbecued. I have only seen this done with one of those big smoker style barbecuers, but I have heard that the pig may also be barbecued in a pit. Carolina-style barbecue sauce, a vinegar based mixture, invariably makes its appearance along with the requisite side dishes: green beans, cole slaw, and boiled "'taters." Homemade ice cream and other desserts provide the finishing touch to the meal, and afterward everyone lounges around in chairs, their gluttony satiated - for a short while, anyway. Everyone gets a chance to socialize and catch up on family happenings. It's actually quite fun.

What does your family do at reunions or get-togethers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss pig-pickin's! Born and raised in NC, I now live in Denver, CO.

I do hope that you've also had the pleasure of eating a pig pickin' cake!

Revka said...

No, Amanda, I haven't had a pig picking cake, per se. Do tell, what exactly is it?

I know how much you miss your home and its customs when you move somewhere new! I grew up on the Mexico border, and NC is a different culture altogether!