The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Working at home

I thought you might like a glimpse into how I manage to work at home.

Where do I work? My piano and our computer are in the enclosed carport which is fondly known as "the piano room." This room is on the extreme right side of our home and is "my" room. Since this is not a separate office, it is furnished with home furniture rather than office furniture. My piano lessons obviously center around the piano. My paid assignments and custom header designs are executed at the computer, which is placed near the sole window in the room.

When do I work? I am experimenting with having set working hours. I had been trying to work from 8-10 a.m. and/or from 2-4 p.m., but I have changed my morning hours to 9-11 a.m. I am still trying to find that delicate balance necessary to successfully accomplish all my duties.

How long can I work? With three small children, I have found that I can only work in two hour blocks of time - maximum. Sometimes, having my attention so long focused on something other than my children is asking for trouble. Working for more than two hours guarantees trouble.

What do my children do while I work? Next to the piano room is the living room, known as "Daddy's room." In our living room reside the the TV, PlayStation 2, home theatre system, DVDs, VHS tapes, CDs, video games, and Mr. Incredible's NASCAR collectibles. While I work, my children most often stay in the living room, watching a video or playing with toys. They are currently having a tea party under a tent constructed from Pookie Bear's comforter which is stretched across their little rocking chair and over the arm of the couch, secured by a stack of books.

As you can see, it is possible for a mother to work productively from home, but I am finding that possible and easy are not interchangeable terms! If you have any questions that I have not answered, let me know.

0 comments: