The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Treachery

(This started out as a paid post for a water bottle filter, but it turned into something quite different.)

Gasping for breath, fingers groping for a hold, my hot body roasting in the scorching sun - everything seemed surreal. There was no way this could be happening to me! I should be headed home to my father. Instead, here I was in this miserably hot hole, desperately trying to find a way out of the pit into which I had been thrust. Why I was in this predicament I was still not sure. Nonetheless, here I was, and I had better figure out how I was going to go about getting out of here.

As my hand brushed against something, I strained to reach just a little farther above my head. Finally! I had found a small bush. Wrapping one hand around it, I slowly maneuvered my other hand to grasp the plant. Hoping that the bush would hold my weight, I tentatively searched for a toe hold. Nothing. I wasn't willing to give up, but voices overhead forced me to reluctantly and momentarily abandon my escape attempt.

As the voices neared, I became aware that strangers had joined the company. Who were they, and why were they coming this way? A familiar voice caught my attention, and I strained to hear what was being said. I caught references to a sales' price. It sure wasn't much!

To my astonishment, a rope descended, accompanied by gruff instructions to climb out of the pit. I obeyed with alacrity, thankful for the release from my imprisonment. Once on the surface, however, my feeling of relief turned to one of alarm as strangers roughly grabbed me. They tied my hands behind my back and forced me to march away with them. I struggled violently until one of my captors viciously lashed me with his whip.

Marching off, I looked back, my eyes filling with tears as I unwillingly left behind all that I had known. I was more confused than ever. Why would they do this to me? They were my brothers! Could they really hate me that much? What about Father? How would they explain my absence to him?

The caravan of which I was now a part traveled at a relentless pace for several hours. Weary and spent, I finally fell to my knees, unable to trudge any further. My masters, for such I had determined them to be, attempted to force me to continue the journey, but I was simply unable to walk any longer. Finally, one man offered me a drink. I greedily gulped the tepid water, not caring that it tasted unpleasantly of dirt, so unlike the water at home.

After drinking the water, I summoned enough strength to once again rise to my feet and wearily continue my journey toward Egypt. I knew not what new trials awaited me there, though I would surely be auctioned as a slave. My only comfort lay in the fact that I knew that Jehovah was with me and would take care of me, no matter my final destination.

Note: I hope you enjoyed my fictional account of Joseph's experiences in the pit and on his journey to Egypt. I'd like to know what you think about this story and if it made you consider Joseph's story in a new light.

clip art courtesy of fotosearch.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great, Revka! You're a very good writer.

Revka said...

Thank you, Holly. :) Those are some mighty encouraging words.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Revka! Only you could take a paid blogging job and make it into something great. :)

Revka said...

Thanks, Karen. I appreciate them thar fine words. :)