The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

So much fun

We had a wonderful time this past weekend. We had a family reunion (yes, another one *smile*) to attend on Sunday, but Mr. Incredible also needed some new shoes before his friend's wedding in a couple of weeks. We knew that, since my children's choir rehearsal begins at 5:00 p.m., we would not have time to go shopping after the reunion. Instead, we decided to travel up on Saturday and spend the night at Mr. Incredible's parents' home.

Saturday afternoon, we arrived at "Grandma and Grandpa's house" where we unloaded our van and then traveled with my in-laws to a nearby strawberry farm. We all picked strawberries; I think the girls enjoyed the strawberries almost as much as they liked being with Grandma and Grandpa! Thank goodness I had the foresight to dress the girls in old, stained clothing!

After we picked strawberries, we went to Mr. Incredible's grandparent's home where grilled hot dogs awaited. After eating, Mr. Incredible and I left the girls fishing in the pond (we were later told that Pookie caught a fairly large bass and Miss Muffet caught several bream) while we sneaked away to the nearby outlet mall. It was so nice to be by ourselves for a change! We spent about 3 1/2 hours wandering around the mall. We did find shoes for Mr. Incredible and, because of a sale, were able to buy both his shoes and a pair for me for less than the clearance price of his shoes alone.

Mr. Incredible not only looked for shoes but also indulged my literary weakness and let me go into a new bookstore that had opened in place of one that had gone out of business. While I was browsing, he drew my attention toward a pile of hardbound classics (navy blue padded vinyl covering with gold lettering and decoration). The sign said 3 for $5. No way! We asked the clerk about them, and she informed us that those books had been discontinued and this company just wanted to get rid of them. Mr. Incredible let me buy them for my Mother's Day gift. I ended up with A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll, Emma and Persuasion - Jane Austen, The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame, Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevski, Tess of the D'Ubervilles and Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy, and The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins. Can you tell that I love the classics? One of my dreams is to have a nicely bound, complete collection of Charles Dickens' works. Mr. Incredible also kindly let me buy three paperbacks by Louisa May Alcott - Rose in Bloom, An Old-Fashioned Girl, and Little Men. So I'm in literary heaven at the moment.

On Sunday morning, we attended our old church and finally got to see Pastor Daniel. I knew that he had had brain surgery, but the cosmetic results of that surgery never occurred to me. I was unprepared to see him completely bald with a large scar running from the center of the crown of his head down almost to his ear. Honestly, I did not recognize him at first. I am so glad that externals do not make us who we are; Layne was just the same as ever and even joked a bit about his appearance. He preached the morning service, and his circumstances have added an urgency to his preaching that was missing before. Don't get me wrong; he has always been passionate about preaching and serving the Lord, but knowing that your days are nearly gone is bound to sharpen any one's focus. It was so good to be "home" and see him and his family again. I know we'll see them again in a couple of weeks when he performs our friends' wedding.

The family reunion went well. We enjoyed visiting with some of our favorite relatives (Hi, y'all!), and we got to see baby Jordan, my husband's nephew, again. Would you believe that neither one of us has gotten to hold him yet? I hope we get to visit with them again soon and actually get to hold Jordan!

We made it back to our house with only ten minutes to put up the perishables that we had brought home from the farm. We made it to choir practice on time, and the rest of the evening flew by uneventfully.

How was your weekend?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a busy and fun weekend. You have a lot of reading to do!

lawbrat said...

Hi, I found you through mommyblawger.

I really liked this post. Especially that part that externals do not make us who we are. That really hit home with me.

If you like, I'd like you to check out my latest post. If you choose to, I think you may enjoy it. If you choose to read more, you'll understand more of what the verses posted mean to me.

Blessings to you.

Revka said...

Hey, Karen. Yes, the weekend was both fun and busy. I look forward to reading my new books. :>)

Lawbrat, thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I stopped by your blog, and I understand where you are coming from. I'll be praying for you.