The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Same as ever

Growing up, I was a tomboy who never gave much thought to clothing or appearance. Since we were forbidden to use makeup, my face always sported the "natural look," even when in the grip of teenage acne. That was fine with me, though occasionally I did feel self-conscious about the blemishes that covered my face. I assumed the attitude I always used to deal with unpleasant situations: this too shall pass.

I grew to adulthood expecting to have a beautiful complexion once I had passed my teenage years. Unfortunately, our expectations do not always become reality. I hereby publicly admit that I still have my bouts with acne. (I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of other adults do as well.) Due to my ingrained reluctance to use cosmetics, I rarely wear makeup, even to cover my outbreaks. I am about ready to try something stronger than plain old soap and water and am considering turning to skinceuticals for help.

Before I rush out to buy any new products, I thought I would see if there is any particular product that you swear by. What helps you most and how?

2 comments:

cherylann said...

I never had a lot of acne while I was a teenager, but after the birth of my daughter, I have major acne. Not wanting to use prescriptions and the such, I asked my best friend (who has flawless skin even though she lives at the beach) for advice. She recommended the Aveeno products. Right now I am using the foaming face cleanser, and moisturizer with SPF. She also recommended a toner and to exfoliate once or twice a week until my pores shrink. There is also another moisturizer that she was going to give me a link for that's suppose to be really good and not greasy or anything at all. The Aveeno is working well and has quelled most of the breakouts. It works well for me because I have sensitive skin also. Once I find the name of the other moisturizer, I'll let you know.

Revka said...

Thanks, Cherylann, both for stopping by and for your very helpful comment. I really appreciate your recommendations and will have to try these products.