The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Batteries - caring for and disposing of

When we upgraded our home phones, I had no idea what to do with our old phones. To this day, they float around our house, sporadically furnishing make-believe fun for my girls. My biggest concern was how to properly dispose of the cordless phone battery. Now I know what to do, and I'm going to share the links that furnished my new knowledge. (Aren't I kind? *smile*)

Over at zbattery.com's article, "How to Care for Your Batteries," I learned that, contrary to popular belief, storing batteries in the freezer will not extend their life. In addition to the other tips, I saw their link to www.RBRC.org, where you can search for a recycling center near you.

At the State of Connecticut's Department of Environmental Protection page, I found instructions for the proper method to recycle batteries, including rechargeable cordless phone batteries. I was amazed to find out that recycling these batteries is as easy as taking them to the nearest participating retail collection point - usually Wal-Mart or Radio Shack.

Now that I know how to properly care for and dispose of these items, I'm sure it will be easy to follow these new found directions.

0 comments: