The Porch Light copyright by Revka (2006-2010). All rights reserved.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Personal Style - Part 3

Welcome back to my Personal Style series. Today's tips are about accessories and the need to be selective when creating your wardrobe.

The individual posts in this series are:
Part 1 - know your shape and "your" colors
Part 2 - know your individual style, and develop it without breaking the bank
Part 3 - use accessories, and be selective in what you buy
Part 4 - don't get stuck in a rut, and cut your losses
Part 5 - learn by observing, and be patient

Now, on with today's tips.

5. Accessories are important.
Accessories are another way to express yourself and stretch your wardrobe. You can wear the same outfit but change the accessories, and it will look like a completely different outfit. Think of a sleeveless "little black dress," for example. Wear it with a jacket, a simple gold chain, a watch, and black flats or pumps; you have an outfit for the office. Wear the same dress with high heels, a classically-styled black purse, and pearls at your ears, throat, and wrist; you now have an outfit for church or a similar occasion. Take the same dress. Accessorize with a sheer wrap, glamorous jewelry, stiletto heels, and a little clutch purse. Presto - you're ready for an evening out. Take a look at your clothes and see how many outfits you can create just by accessorizing.

6. Be selective.
Don't buy anything that is not your style or color. Take the advice of that old saying, "If in doubt, don't!" I am especially tempted by sales. I may find something that is very close to what I would like but doesn't quite fit the bill. Often, I find myself saying, "Oh, that is such a great price, and it's close to what I want. I'm sure I'll wear it." However, I've found that the items I am not sure about and buy anyway are the ones that get stuck in the back of my closet. Be ruthless. A bargain that sits unused is no bargain; it is a waste of money. If someone gives you something that is not flattering, do genuinely thank the giver for their thoughtfulness, but don't hang onto that item. Exchange it; give it to someone who would look good in it; give it to a thrift store; do anything (discreetly!) with it except keep it. No one needs a closet full of clothes they don't like or wear.

I recommend your reading Dilly Dilly's informative post about What NO WOMAN Needs in Her Wardrobe (from her blog What Every Woman Needs in Her Wardrobe). PLEASE NOTE: she does refer to a woman's bottom as "a**".

Coming next week: Personal Style - Part 4.

I'll discuss my next two tips.

7. Don't get stuck in a rut.
8. Cut your losses.

0 comments: